Friday, February 29, 2008

Old Shoes


This morning I went out running. It's the first time I've run outside since last fall. Most days I workout inside on an elliptical machine. I've had my running shoes for about a year now and I can tell they're about at the end of their useful life. They look fine and the tread is still okay but the way I can tell they need to be replaced is that, after my run this morning, my left knee hurt. When I run in new shoes my joints don't hurt. New shoes are expensive but very worth it. Pretty soon, if I want to successfully continue my training to run a 10k in May I'll have to pay the price for the right equipment. My body stays the same and running hasn't changed since the beginning of time but I need to regularly change my shoes.

Church is like that. The Gospel message hasn't changed in 2000 years. The need of the human race to be rescued from their sin is as pressing now as it's ever been. The tools the church uses to run this race need to be evaluated and replaced when no longer effective. So, here's my question: "How does a church know when they're running in old shoes?"

No comments: