Friday, May 23, 2008

Nicely Done

We joined a church here in town about four months ago. It was quite a process for us to finally find a place where we felt we belonged. Last Sunday I dropped a check in the offering plate. It was the first check since we became members. A couple days later I got a letter from the Senior Pastor. It was a delightful letter. It didn't acknowledge the amount of our gift...which leads me to believe that he doesn't even know how much it was. It simply said, "I've asked our treasurer to let me know when someone begins to contribute to our ministry...and I wanted to thank you." There were some other encouraging words about giving and supporting the work of the Lord and the blessings that come from giving.

What impressed me most about this letter is that, having gotten to know the pastor just a little bit, it seemed genuine and heartfelt. He really appreciates people supporting the ministry and goes out of his way to say so. It obviously helps the church but he knows it's an even greater blessing to those who give. He didn't have to say anything about our gift. We don't tithe to get a tax write-off or letters from the pastor. But the letter tells me that he has his head on straight about giving and those who give. He's positive, affirming and encouraging.

Years ago I sat in a church board meeting where people actually suggested that we leave the lights off and not play the organ on Sunday morning to let people know that if they didn't start giving more money we wouldn't be able to pay our electric bill! True story!! That's just one of many plans I've heard through the years from church people who were frustrated that the giving wasn't paying the bills. They missed the point completely that giving isn't about paying bills! Along the way those types of approaches give the impression that the church is desperate for people's money while not caring too very much for the people themselves.

I'm happy to be involved with a church that seems to communicate care for the people and gratitude when those people choose to bless the church financially, as well. It's nice when I get the chance to say to a church...nicely done.

No comments: