Monday, January 21, 2013

I'm Back

Last weekend Arnold Schwarzenegger made his triumphant return to the screen as a the leading man in an action flick. I haven't seen it it yet, but I'm looking forward to catching 'The Last Stand' in a theater near me. Arnold has long been the king of one liners in movies with many of his lines becoming part of the pop culture lexicon. But this post isn't about Arnold, it's about comebacks. In particular it's about my comeback to the blogosphere and to this blog in particular.

For the past two years I've blogged a total of about three times. That coincided with me taking a new job that I thought would be awesome but turned out to be awful. I'm sure some of my experience over the past two years will come out in this forum, but I'm cautious not to be that guy who whines about a bad experience as if he were a victim. That happens to us Christians. We strive to be faithful to God and look for His blessings but as soon as things go a little sideways for us we have a tendency to waggle our finger at God and claim he dropped the ball somehow.

It's yet another of my concerns about the church that those within it so easily vacillate between being 'sold out' for Jesus to being fraught with doubt over God's will and presence in our lives. However, even a cursory look at scripture tells us that it is in the trials of this life where God builds perseverance. In fact in the book of James we're encouraged to 'Count it all joy...when you meet trials of various kinds...'

It's a challenge to find joy in trials, but I'm committed to doing just that. This latest trial has taught me much about myself and I continue to uncover more work that needs to be done. God is awesome. I remain passionate about helping the church be better in all aspects so that the whole world might know how awesome God is. So I'm back with plans to resume my honest assessment of where the church could do better and what it's doing well in my humble opinion. I'd love to hear from you, too!

No comments: