Thursday, March 07, 2013

An Aversion to Profit

There's an interesting dynamic that has developed over the past few years in the United States. It's been most vividly demonstrated by the Occupy Movement as certain groups of people have come to despise those who make a profit from their business pursuits. How making a profit has been vilified is a topic for another post. Though it's a new trend culturally, it's an idea that seems to have been embraced by the church for a very long time.

While it's certainly true that the church appreciates those who make money, especially if those people are inclined to be generous with that money, there seems to be a disconnect when it comes to the church engaging in profit making enterprise. This is one of the hurdles we need to get over if we're to do charity differently. It seems to me that the model of strictly separating for profit and not for profit entities is more a government construct than a Biblical one. In fact the Bible celebrates industrious labor and there were times when Paul would work his trade to supply for his needs. Some believe that while Peter left his fishing business, his family maintained that business and it was a source of support for his ministry work.

There is nothing inherently wrong with providing a service for which you are paid. There's nothing wrong with generating a profit that can then be used to advance ministry. There is so much to be learned from the for profit world about accountability, intelligent planning, goal setting and evaluation. Even better than learning these skills is putting them into practice through a for profit enterprise that can fund your ministry work. This model opens doors for you to engage business leaders for the sake of ministry.

In a future post I'll discuss how the church chases off highly competent business leaders and rewards unqualified people with key leadership roles in the church. It's a practice that happens far too often and it's playing a role in the decline of the church...in my opinion.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Tim,

I totally agree and in fact I would like to take it to another level that Christian business folk have a GREAT Kingdom influence on the world/society, often times, greater than that of the Church... This may seem unfortunate, but Biblically speaking... Jesus did more ministry int he make place than the temple or synagogue. In fact, I remember Him getting kicked it of His friendly neighborhood synagogue, when He revealed He was the fulfillment of Isaiah 61...

I want to encourage you and challenge you to read this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Mountain-Prophecy-Unveiling-Revolution/dp/1599792877

It is an incredible holistic understanding to the Prayer and declaration Jesus made, "Your will on earth, as it is in Heaven".

Then I would challenge you to ask the Lord to show you which mountain of society you are called to ( I have my theory for you, but I'm certainly not the Lord :) )

Blessings,
Ben Shenkin

Tim said...

Thanks Ben. I bought the Kindle version of the book and look forward to reading it. I agree that Christian business folk have great Kingdom influence but that influence when it comes to leadership in the church is stifled. I'm not sure how important it is that they influence the church as long as they are active in the Church (note the small 'c' and large 'C' difference).

Unknown said...

Tim,

That is interesting how you would even phrase it that way. Upon reading this book, and listening to a few other folk talk about their views of these sorts of issues, I would say I have encountered a paradigm shift. I would say that God has granted favor to each person for a task, whether that happens in the "church" (organized structured meeting places) or the Church at larger is the point of the "7 mountain's prophecy" in which there are 7 sectors of society designed to be influenced and full of God's Kingdom values, and pointed towards a relationship with the Father. There needs to be strong leaders on every "mountain" to really bring "heaven to earth". Religion is only 1 mountain, economy is another. They can overlap, but I would argue that people are truly called to one mountain mostly. (if you read the book, you may better understand my point of view on this one)

So, I agree leaders need to be allowed to lead whether in the business sector of Kingdom influence or particularly the "religion" sector. I guess I would proclaim that ALL SECTORS ARE MINISTRY! To compartmentalize it is to not do God's call to make disciples of all nations justice.

I am not saying you aren't saying that, just sort of adding my perspective to yours.

If you get a chance to read the book, let me know what you think.

Blessings,
Ben